Before I start, thanks again. The outpouring of love and support is still overwhelming us and is fabulous, so thank you all.

Also, soon I’ll do a little re-cap of how our little guy came to us so soon. It was a remarkable story and it’ll make for a good read.

So, we’ve now been home for one full week. It’s been a great week filled with visitors, lots of food, lots of snuggling and lots of pooping, etc ;-)  We are so happy to be home and settled in and we are adjusting to being a foursome now, which hasn’t been too difficult. Parker is pretty mellow, as is to be expected for someone who is still negative 3 weeks old. Liddy is doing great as a big sister, but is experiencing some typical spells of acting out a bit to get some attention. She’s also just a really energetic little kid, so I think she isn’t threatened by Parker as much as she’s just feeling the effects of having to wait her turn or hold tight until mom’s done feeding or whatever may be preoccupying us as parents.

In our first week, we had some important milestones for our family. Most importantly, we all went to lunch at our favorite restaurant. That made us feel very normal again. It was settling and, of course, delicious!

Lunch @ Ciatti's!

Lunch @ Ciatti’s!

On Wednesday of last week, we had our first pediatrician appointment for Parker, who was a trooper. He’d gained an inch of height and his weight was a wee bit lower than when we left the hospital, but that’s more a symptom of having not eaten in awhile and having just pooped. As a safety precaution, they sent us home with a scale to monitor his weight, which has steadily risen, so that’s a great thing.

Parker’s bilirubin, the chemical in the blood cells that causes jaundice, was elevated again. On wednesday, they decided to send us home with a Bili-bed, a phototherapy device that looks like a flatbed document scanner which Parker got to lay on to help bring his bilirubin level down. On friday, we returned to the lab for another test on it and it had gone down significantly, so we were given the “all-clear” to discontinue the use of the Bili-bed.  His color seems better and I think we may finally be clear of any worry there, but you never know, so we’ll keep an eye on things.

Otherwise, he is looking really good. He is still small and most visitors’ reaction to their first meeting with Parker is how small he is, but I think it’s just one of those things unless you’ve been around a newborn. He’s not really all that much smaller than other newborns, but in 3 weeks when he is full term, I bet he’ll seem like a big baby…one that would have been a lot of pain to push out ;-)

This week, we are going to attempt some normalcy. Chelle and Liddy wanted to go to class today, but I think the daylight savings time thing may have made them late due to some later sleep schedules. Regardless, they have plans to do the normal school routine, some gymnastics, story hours, etc. There was (and maybe is) still some concern about going out in public with Parker due to his immune system still being a little fragile, as is common with premies, so we’ll be smart.

It’s feeling good to be able to have that normalcy. The weather here in MN, which has been remarkably cold and snowy this year – historic even – has tamed to almost pleasant and much of the mountainous snowbanks surrounding the town has melted and looks to continue to do so. I am sensing this is the start of Spring because my allergies are making my life miserable.  However, I’ll take this misery if it means I get to play outside in the yard with the kids sooner.

Now here are some pictures of the adorable little fellow.






Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>